Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Cabin fever

Now I understand why women go slowly insane being trapped in the house with their kids in the winter. We had 24 inches of snow on the ground already, and today it's been snowing all day again. I'm watching it through my third floor windows as it blows sideways. Earlier I bundled Little Peanut up in one of her many pink snowsuits (90 percent of the clothing I've received as baby gifts has been pink) and we went downstairs to stand in front of the house for 10 minutes, watching the snow fall. That was the first time I'd been outside the house in days. Then it was time to go back in so she could spit up on me some more.

I also understand now why so many mothers gain tons of weight and never lose it. Exercise? You've got to be kidding me. Does brushing my teeth count? I suppose theoretically I could pace the length of the condo 9,000 times in a row -- that might add up to a decent amount of walking. In the meantime, I'm trying to come to terms with my disturbing post-pregnancy stomach fat roll and my expanded new ass. Pregnancy is like "Invasion of the Body Snatchers." When you give birth, you expect to get your old body back, only to find that it's been replaced by one that you have no recollection of.

Luckily Little Peanut is exceptionally cute. Mr. Fraulein and I both thought so anyway, but many unbiased observers have confirmed this. She has luxurious eyelashes and a little bow-shaped mouth. Her latest thing is blowing raspberries, and she smiles a lot. So she's not the worst person to be stuck in the house with.






No comments: