Monday, April 28, 2008

Do some good

I have a friend who was recently diagnosed with multiple sclerosis (at a young age and with two young kids, no less). I met her and her now-husband at Trinity Church in Boston many years ago, before I met Mr. Fraulein. Later we discovered that her aunt is married to Mr. Fraulein's uncle! Which was more than bizarre, and which made us realize that technically we are related. Through marriage at any rate.

Now this friend is soliciting donations for her local MS Walk event in Pennsylvania. You can donate to her team here, and help the National MS Society fund research into a cure for this devastating disease. My friend and her husband and little boys thank you!

Meanwhile another friend and former co-worker is now training for the New York City Triathlon, which will raise money for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, which funds research into cures for blood cancers. As he points out, getting his 43-year-old self in shape for this event will be no small feat. But I have to give him props for trying to get into shape, which is certainly more than I'm doing. I applaud your efforts from my seat on the couch, Uncle Squid! You can donate to his team here.

If you're wondering why in God's name his nickname appears to be "Uncle Squid," let me enlighten you. Technically his nickname is "The Squid." Because when you are an Italian guy from New Jersey with a name like Tony Borelli (our degenerate group of reporter friends decided back in the day) you obviously need a mob name. Something with a nice ring to it, such as "Tony 'The Squid' Borelli."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So far I've collected about $1,350 in donations, lost about 20 pounds, and amassed a truly impressive of shiny, clingy, body-hugging garments made of substances not found in nature.

Thanks for the publicity!

Fraulein said...

Awesome! Can't wait to see the photos...